Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: The Clever Rabbit

For the last issue of the Voice for Animals (v4a.org) newsletter published January 21st, 2013I wrote a review of the vegan/vegetarian restaurant The Clever Rabbit. Below is the article, with some pictures. 

Brunch at The Clever Rabbit

My friends know me as a creature of habit. I tend to walk the same routes, listen to the same music, watch the same shows, and eat the same food. But, awhile back I heard of a new vegan/vegetarian eatery that had been opened by a set of animal-loving sisters, called The Clever Rabbit. Ever since then I’d been curious to see what they had to offer. I convinced two close friends of mine to accompany me for brunch, both for the companionship and also so that I could get a larger sampling of opinions! Beforehand, I made sure to check out thecleverrabbit.ca in the hopes of inspecting the menu and was in luck. I like to be prepared.

On a crisp Sunday morning our trio made its way to The Clever Rabbit’s accessible location on 124 street and 107th avenue, where our eagle-eyed driver spotted a place to park just a block away. After a brisk walk, we entered the welcoming restaurant, picking ourselves a cozy window seat in the just-the-right-size cafĂ©. Just as we were getting comfy our charming server, whose smile literally chased away the winter cold, delivered us menus and took our drink orders. As I already knew what I wanted to eat I sipped my earl grey tea in peace while the other two perused the menu’s offerings. Eventually, we decided to start off with homemade tortilla chips and salsa. The chips were perfect and flaky, with just the right amount of salting, and the salsa was fresh and chunky – just the way I like it. It was difficult to share!
For the main course, my one friend chose to do the vegan version of a traditional breakfast, and ordered the tofu scramble with a side of vegan sausage. The dish came out looking amazing – brightly colored tomatoes and broccoli, heavenly looking “eggs”, with two sausages and two crisp pieces of toast. I couldn’t help but second guess my own choice. My other friend, who has some strict dietary concerns, chose the granola and yogurt, opting for the non-dairy coconut version. Another lovely dish, mixed with fresh 

berries and kiwi and so pretty it was a shame to watch him take the first spoonful. And not only was it judged delicious, it also sat well with my friend’s stomach. 

And my own midday meal? For that I decided to go with the lentil loaf with almond gravy, which was raved about in a review posted on the Clever Rabbit’s website. It did not disappoint. The loaf was delicious, moist and filling, and the gravy was, well, gravy (as in, an extra bonus). I savored every bite, as well as every slurp of the accompanying soup du jour, a peanut-y squash soup that was rich and creamy and tasted like autumn.

With whimsical rabbit figurines decorating the tables, a couch for the leisurely visitor, bright and open front windows and attentive but not oppressive staff, The Clever Rabbit has what they call “great atmosphere.” And it also has great food, which means I’ll be going back as soon as I can to start working my way through everything else on the menu. AND, to indulge in one of the incredible looking vegan donuts displayed in a baker’s case right next to the register. Next time, I’ll be sure to leave some room for dessert!

The Clever Rabbit is located at 10722 - 124th street. They have a fabulous Valentine's Day menu for February 14th (only a couple weeks away, you romantics out there) - check out the event posted on on Facebook page at facebook.com/CleverRabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment