Thursday, November 8, 2012

How Can You Tell if a Kitten is Male or Female?

So, I'm participating in the glorious November event National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo to the pros) and am currently working on my 50,000 word pile of crap. I'm starting to understand what authors mean when they say that their story seems to write itself because I'm experiencing that first hand. In my novel, currently untitled, my main character has just found a little cat on her balcony. She wants to keep this cat, and give it a special name, but she can't name it until she knows what gender it is!

Since this is a mystery I, myself, have experienced, I decided to do a little online research. I thought this would also be a perfect topic for this blog as I imagined there would be a plethora of heinous pictures I could post in here. But, after doing some reading, and looking at some startlingly frank images, I've decided that if you want to see the pictures you can follow the link yourself. I'd rather not assault anyone's unsuspecting eyes!

I can give you the skinny on sexing a kitten, though.


Firstly, under the tail of a kitten there will be two little openings, one above the other. The first little opening is their anus, and the second opening that sits below the anus is their genitals. On a male cat, the space between the two openings is farther apart than on a female, because in between the anus and the genitals is where the kitty's little testicles grow! Also, with the opening for the genitalia, on a male it is shaped like a dot, and on a female like a sideways slit. 


You can see graphic images to demonstrate these tips here: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-kittens.html. 

Otherwise, I shall leave you with this: 



No comments:

Post a Comment